What is Traffic Arbitrage: Traffic arbitrage is a business model where you buy traffic at a lower cost and make money out of it buy ad placements. The difference in revenue is the profit. Ask.com has been using this model to monetize its paid search results for over a decade. There are many success stories on traffic arbitrage and today, and in this article, we are going to discuss how you too can create a successful traffic arbitrage model and make money from it.
Traffic Arbitrage Techniques and Tricks 2018
Here are some of the crucial pointers you should make a note of before getting started with online arbitrage model. These techniques are provided after thorough research and we believe that it would be of extreme help for you to get started with Traffic Arbitrage for 2018.
List Ad Networks which you will be using to Monetize your Website-
A lot of publishers only rely on Adsense (check out our AdSense Arbitrage Guide) which doesn’t really work well for sites working on traffic arbitrage model. So, it is important that you list down your primary sources of ad revenue. The primary reason is Adsense being a contextual ad network works well only if the ads are contextually targeted which is not the case for viral or arbitrage sites. First off, we need to know the ad networks which will be generating the maximum revenue for you. Here are the ad networks which works well for any traffic arbitrage websites.
1. ADX- Google ad exchange runs purely on CPM basis and hence is a better bet than AdSense where a visitor has to actually click on an ad network. However, you still need to place the ads in prime locations since CTR is still a metric which decides the overall ad CPM is Google Adexchange.
2. Media.net- Media.net pays good CPM rates if you’ve US and Canadian traffic. While Media.net works with specific niches, if your content fall in any of those, you can make a good amount of additional revenue from Media.net ad program. If you’ve websites which are product related or have content on finance, home repair, consultation, product buys, home improvement, etc, Media.net can be a good bet. I suggest you implement Media.net ads if you haven’t implemented them yet.
3. RevContent– Revcontent is undoubtedly the recommended ad network for any viral site. The Revcontent widget is specially tailored to work well with viral sites and has higher CTR which in fact gives you higher rates of your traffic. Your site needs to have at least 3 million page views per month to be accepted by Revcontent. It is one of the highest revenue making native ad network for online publishers and viral sites. If you’ve any site which has more than 3 million monthly page views, I suggest you signup with Revcontent immediately and boost your revenue.
4. Spoutable- If you don’t meet the 3 million page views threshold, I suggest you get started with Spoutable. It accepts sites at much lower page views and thus is appropriate for websites which are just starting off in the arbitrage model and are yet to scale. Simply signup with this link and place the widget code after manual or automatic placement setup. Once the code is placed on your website, it will be moderated by Spoutable staff and you’re good to get started. Congrats! More revenue for you!
5. Sulvo X- Sulvo uses price prediction algorithms to give you the highest revenue in the industry. If you’re looking to monetize your traffic at rates higher than AdX, Sulvo is the choice for you. They have special sticky ad units for Desktop and Mobile which can bring you additional revenue and thus I would like to recommend them highly. Your site needs to have close to 1 million page views per month to be accepted by Sulvo platform. Signup with Sulvo here.
Building your Content- Getting Started Guide
A lot of publishers who are running traffic arbitrage or CPM arbitrage sites actually don’t focus on building high-quality content. This is one of the most important traffic arbitrage technique- to ensure the content meets quality. The success of traffic arbitrage depends on creating unique and well research content which people are willing to read and share. Good quality content with good images can help you make higher profits in a traffic arbitrage business model.
Also, Google frowns websites with shallow content. We have seen a lot of publishers getting banned because their content was shallow with little text and the entire model was based on arbitrage. So, you should focus on engaging content and have a separate set of viral articles related to trending topics or evergreen ones. You can drive traffic to those articles while you write about other topics at the same time. This gives your website some credibility in search as well.
The right trick to run a successful online traffic arbitrage business model in 2018 without getting banned is to provide unique and quality content to your users. Arbitrage is everywhere on the web. Ad networks buy and sell traffic and make profits from arbitrage, so does the publishers. It is safe as long as you’re not breaking the terms and conditions and inflating click-through rates. Also, it shouldn’t look like all of your posts and content are built to drive traffic from paid sources and monetize it from AdSense. Instead, a section of your site’s content should be focused on content which can be related to arbitrage.
How to Buy Cheap Traffic for Traffic Arbitrage?
While getting started with CPM arbitrage, Adsense arbitrage or traffic arbitrage, it is important to know that buying traffic from unreliable sources can actually get you in trouble since most of these networks sell fake clicks or traffic. My recommendation would be to build your plan and content which is viral in nature and promote only on these ad networks.
Taboola– Taboola is a native ad network and is a good source of cheap traffic for certain geographies especially if you’re targeting Asian countries for your arbitrage.
Facebook– Driving social traffic from Facebook by promoting posts can be quite useful in the long run. It can not only help you drive a good amount of traffic but also help you generate social signals and build a robust brand around your content. Facebook should be one of your primary traffic acquisition sources for your arbitrage site.
Revcontent- Most of the popular traffic arbitrage sites use Revcontent to buy traffic. Having a good teaser and an image can help you increase the CTR of your ad and hence the overall cost per click will be highly reduced.
Things to Know while Buying Traffic for CPM Arbitrage
The entire model is to buy traffic at a lower price and make revenue from the ads which are displayed on the website. As we all know, the majority of the revenue will be coming from Google AdSense or Google ADX, you should be very clear about the policy violations in regard to the same.
- Let your blog age for at least few months if not 6 months and put unique content initially.
- Focus on buying traffic from Facebook and Revcontent. That can help you better your ROI.
- Try to build a brand and just don’t focus on traffic arbitrage. While you’re buying traffic, let your brand grow along with.
- Do not buy traffic from cheap and unreliable sources.
Recommended Themes for Setting Up Traffic Arbitrage Website
In order to make money from traffic arbitrage, you need your visitors to view more pages on your website. Say, you buy a traffic for 3 cents, then you at least need to make 4 cents from that visitor to ensure you’re making a profit. They key here is to make that visitor retain on your site and make him view at least 5-6 pages or even more. This is typically possible only when you’ve slideshow type articles where users are intrigued by the content and keeps clicking on the next button to load the next set of image and content associated with it. Some of the popular themes which are used by Traffic arbitrage website owners are–
You can choose any one of these themes. The setup is quite easy and usually comes with demo content importer, so setting up the WordPress on the web server and the themes and making it ready for publishing shouldn’t take more than a day’s time. Also, the themes mentioned above are tested and should help you get better ROI from arbitrage.
Initial Investment Required for a Traffic Arbitrage Website
You need to have at least $2000 in your kitty to get started. You would be spending around $500 to build the content. Keep aside around USD 1200 for buying the traffic for the next 2 months. The remaining amount of $300 will go in setting up the website, optimizing it for page load speeds, buy plugins, hosting and do other necessary integrations which can help users or visitors share your content smoothly. Since most of the networks pay in NET 30 days, you will have money in your hand after 60 days which you can roll over.
The first two months will be more of a roller-coaster with experiments and trials. But once you crack the winning formula, you can monitor your traffic buys and optimize the ad placements for higher yield.
Also, keep an additional $1000 as a backup and use it to scale the traffic as required. Generally, arbitrage sites see a profit margin of 30%. So, if you’re investing $3000 per month initially, you can take home an additional $1000 and work on to optimize your campaigns and ad placements for higher ROI.
List of Tools Required to Run a Traffic Arbitrage Sites
There are a few tools that you will be requiring to spy on advertorials and the best ad campaigns so that you can replicate those for your content. A successful traffic arbitrage technique requires well-optimized click-through rates for paid advertorials since that will ensure higher ROI which is the winning formulae.
This typically works well on Facebook and native ad networks and thus these are the two segments which you’re going to spy on. List here are the traffic arbitrage spying tools that can help you get started with ad spying. You can either choose Advault.io or Nativeadbuzz from the list.
Roundup: Traffic Arbitrage Tips 2018
You need to choose a viral niche for your website content and build unique lists and articles related to it. Also, you can focus on languages other than English to target local audience and promote the post links on Facebook. This would ensure better spread and share of your content. Keep the initial budget low as you will be experimenting with the headlines of the articles, the CTR, and the overall conversions and return on investment. Once you crack a niche, you can build more content around it and promote and share the content on Facebook. Also, feel free to experiment with the ad networks so that you can maximize the revenue and there is a good cash flow. Some viral niches that work well for traffic arbitrage sites are- celebrities, scandals, cats and dogs, net worths and more. We wish you all the best for a successful traffic arbitrage 2018. Do share your traffic arbitrage techniques with us!
Recommended List for You:
- Traffic less than 10k views per month- AdSense, Adnow, Mediavenus
- Traffic 10k to 100k per month- AdSense, Spoutable
- Traffic 100k to 500k per month- AdSense, Spoutable, Media.net
- Traffic 500k to 3 million per month- ADX, Media.net, Spoutable, Taboola
- Traffic 3 million+ per month- Media.net, ADX, Revcontent, Video Ads (Get in touch)
- Marketing Tools- Ad Plugin, SemRush (Free Trial), Teachable, Webinar Jam,
- Increase your Website Revenue– Share your information and we will get in touch