Finance, investing, insurance and allied topics form the premium segment of internet traffic when it comes to advertising or monetizing. Generally, this segment is considered premium due to the fact that the audience comes for an affluent class and are more inclined towards recommendations and purchase of products which have a higher lifetime value. Thus advertisers are more open towards higher bids to tap into this audience pool. This enables higher CPCs and CPMs for ads displayed on finance websites. As a publisher, the opportunities are substantial if you’ve had a niche finance blog. In this article, we are going to discuss how you can monetize your finance and investing blog in a way that can help you to maximize your overall ad revenue.
- 1 How to Make Money with a Finance Blog or Website: Best Practices
- 2 7+ Ad Networks to Monetize your Finance Blog or Website in 2019
- 3 Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Native Ads
- 4 Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Writing e-books for your Finance Blog
- 5 Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Online Courses
- 6 Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Affiliate Products
- 7 Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Sponsored Ads
- 8 Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Sponsored Listings
- 9 CPM Rates for Finance/Investing Blogs and Websites
How to Make Money with a Finance Blog or Website: Best Practices
A snapshot or what you can say as ‘best practices’ while monetizing your finance or investing blog is something which I believe is crucial. So laying down the important pointers here and then we are moving ahead to the monetization part in the subsequent segments.
- Focus more on earnings per visitor and try creating quality content that caters to premium audience across your niche.
- Optimize 3rd party ads so that it brings the highest revenue from each placements.
- Start writing your content in a more interactive way and recommend products as you find them helpful.
- Build your own email list and subscriber list. Doing so will help you promote your products in the long run- direct or affiliate.
- Give away free resources like e-books and enable subscription model for more insightful topics.
- Never overdo by placing too many ad units on your website. This would enable a healthy user experience and a more consistent search traffic.
7+ Ad Networks to Monetize your Finance Blog or Website in 2019
Third party advertisements continue to be one of the major monetization sources for finance bloggers and publishers. However, they are mostly served as backfills since the demand for finance audience is high and a lot of impressions are directly sold at flat CPM rates. However, the networks mentioned before will be driving a substantial revenue for your blog.
Google AdSense continues to be one of the best contextual and PPC network for niche bloggers. There is a significant advertiser demand for finance and investing niche and the CPCs are high too. Normally, the CPCs tend to be higher for tier one traffic and for keywords which have higher competition. You can explore the keyword planner tool to have an idea of the highest bids across various sub-niches. Placing around 5 AdSense ads per page on long posts can bring in significant ad revenue for your blog. Also, the placements and optimization continues to be a crucial part for higher AdSense earnings.
- Higher CPC for niches like finance and investing
- NET 25 days payment with a minimum threshold of $100
- Prompt and on-time payments
- Availability of a number of ad formats like display, native, in-feed, AMP, etc
With the aim to monetize cross-border traffic and to help publishers gain incremental revenues ranging from 50% to 80%. Setupad links the advertising space to the top 15+ ad exchanges and SSP platforms in a header bidding auction that brings more buyers to participate and an increase in the CPM prices. A large number of publishers recommend, implement and use Setupad from all over the world for it does all the substantial yield optimization and allows publishers to get back to their true calling- quality content creation.
Setupad Features and Benefits for Publishers-
- They allow header bidding and server-side bidding.
- Guarantees a 1-second time-out and offers a possibility for customisation for improved user experience.
- With the combination of all the demand sources, a fill rate of about 100% is possible.
- Offers customized optimization, taking into account bid responses from demand partners regarding particular geos, advertisers, and users.
- Increases your website revenue by almost over 50% of what you’re earning from AdSense.
Eligibility: Monthly ad revenue from display> $500
Note for Publishers: The payout is NET 80 days which is a bit higher because most of the SSPs pay in NET 60 days to Setupad. The SSPs are in turn paid by Exchanges in NET 30 or NET 45 days. Thus the entire transaction takes some time. We recommend using a sticky 300×600 display ad unit from Setupad to boost your overall ad revenue. Using a sticky ad unit can fetch you significant ad revenue along with AdSense.
Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Native Ads
Native ads are a good source of revenue for health bloggers mainly due to the high conversion rate on health website with native widgets. Here, we have listed a number of native ad platforms for health bloggers and publishers which comes to the frontier to effectively monetize your ad inventory. These are our top picks and I suggest you signing up with them.
Media.net continues to be one of the best contextual ad network for finance bloggers. It is one of the best performing niche for media.net since they have the access to direct demand and exclusive advertisers in this niche. However, your traffic source should be primarily tier 1 with a good percentage of visitors coming from the US and Canada. This allows media.net to provide good CPMs for certain niche and converting traffic. The page RPM can go as high as USD 20 and above for financial sub-niches and thus we strongly suggest you to get started with media.net if you haven’t already.
- Majority of your traffic should be coming from US and Canada
- Quality content with appropriate niche which converts well for Media/net’s advertiser pool.
- Media.net works on a mix of CPM/CPC/CPL/CPA which finally comes down to effective page RPM.
- High overall page RPM of USD 20 and above for finance niche blogs.
- Media.net pays its publishers on a NET 28 days basis.
Eligibility: US, UK, Canadian, and AU traffic on niche websites like Finance, Health, Fitness, Education and Automobile works best. Approval is flexible.
VDO.AI‘s native units are designed to be non-obtrusive and provide a seamless way for publishers to leverage the power of video. A lot of health publishers see more revenue from a single VDO.AI unit compared to multiple banners and traditional native units. VDO.AI is headquartered in Mountain View, CA. With VDO.AI’s native video widget, you can see an increment of almost 50% of your regular earnings on sites which are typically known to perform well with video ads. The setup usually takes less than a day to get started go live once your site gets approved from the demand partners. Blognife recommends this native video ad network to maximize your ad revenue. Listed below are the benefits of joining VDO.AI.
- See an additional revenue of almost 50% of your regular earnings
- One tag that sources the video demand from Google ADX, Appnexus, Sovrn, and other demand platforms.
- Generate higher CPMs from native video ads No player, video content or ad integration separately.
- Everything comes bundled in a simple js tag.
Eligibility: Monthly ad revenue from display> $500
iZooto allows publishers to tap into web push notifications for driving traffic and monetization using native content ads. Unlike conventional display ads, native content ads served on push notifications attract CTR’s up to 2% – 3%. Publishers working with iZooto are now able to generate 15-20% of their traffic using push notifications and increase their revenue by 15%. As a publisher you can subscribe to iZooto’s Monetization plan which allows you to use use the product for free of cost and also helps you monetize push notifications. iZooto helps you in monetizing push notification inventory using native ads. iZooto has partnered with leading Ad-networks and exchanges including the likes of Taboola, Pubmatic, RevContent to name a few. The modus operandi is simple –
- iZooto sources contextually relevant ad from it’s Ad network partners.
- These native ads are delivered via notifications to your subscribers.
- iZooto operates on a CPC model and when your subscribers click on these ads, you earn revenue.
2 native content ads are pushed to subscribers. At an average CPC of 10 cents, publisher in US could potentially start generating upto $1,000 per month in just a quarter. You can see good CPMs with iZooto and the revenue accrued will be purely additional.
Eligibility: US traffic at least 50k or Indian traffic 500k per month. Monetization starts once you’ve at least 2500 subscribers.
dianomi™ is a global leader in financial content marketing. They are the only native content platform that focuses exclusively on the Financial Services vertical. Through their natively integrated Financial Content Units, they promote links to the advertisers content across leading tier 1 global financial publishers and stock exchanges. If you’ve a good user base for US, Candanian, UK and EU traffic, Dianomi can perform very well for you. Also, their native ads look quite like content, and is definitely an additional source of monetization for any tier one traffic.
- Works with major financial institutions across sectors like banking, insurance, investing etc.
- Ontime and prompt payment for publishers.
- High CPMs across specific sub niches.
RevContent, which offers almost 250 billion recommendations per month, is a versatile platform for media brands and advertisers. RevContent has fast become the best performing native ad network with the highest CPM rates in the industry and other features such as support for different geographic, contextual and demographic channels. Having some of the top international content marketers like Forbes, CBS, Reuters, International Business Times in its publisher list only validates that. It’s 20% revenue share has made this more profit-oriented for both advertisers and publishers. If your content is more towards viral nature, I suggest you should try the Revcontent widget to maximize your revenue.
- The widget revenue varies depending on the site’s traffic, conversion and geos. Can go higher than $3.
- You can enable native display ads as well as native video ads with Revcontent.
- Superior support and good payout for publishers. Also, Revcontent pays its publishers on time.
Eligibility: An average of 3 million page views per month is required to be accepted by Revcontent.
Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Writing e-books for your Finance Blog
One of the best way to offer customized solution to your visitors is to prepare e-books that addresses specific pain points. Normally, regular visitors of your blog will be more than happy to buy an e-book from you at a price range of USD 5 to USD 25 depending upon the intensity and desire for the topic. Users tend to buy products when they so value in them and social validation about the products as they see other users recommending the products. It is easy to create a product page on your site or blog with woocommerce integration and the reviews give a social validation of the genuinity of the product. Additionally, you can populate a e-book and promote offers and products which you see is adding value to your visitors. The free e-book can contain a more customized plan for which you can charge. Essentially, this trick retains the audience since a large number of your audience will be unwilling to shell out some bucks at the first interaction.
Pro Tip: Get started with 2-3 ebooks and gradually increase the volume as you see more e-books are purchased. It is better to share the first 50 copies of your ebook for free across your network to get reviews of your book and then you start with a nominal price which you can gradually increase and optimize till it doesn’t hurt the sales.
Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Online Courses
These days, it is becoming extremely crucial for publishers and entrepreneurs to capture their audience and there isn’t any better way to have a higher level of engagement than online courses. If you’re an expert in finance and investing field, I suggest you to share your knowledge and key insights on an online course so that your visitors have the opportunity to interact with you directly and also have the option to have an in-depth learning experience from your courses. Webinars also form an easy way to build engagement across your audience.
Pro Tip: You can further monetize this premium audience by creating an exclusive Facebook group for them. These paying customers would be more likely to interact with you or your team and would buy more products recommended by you if they truly find value in your recommendations.
Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Affiliate Products
Since you already have a premium and super niche audience, you can always find the most relevant products for your audience and contextually integrate and recommend them within articles for a seamless experience. Choose those products which genuinely adds value and have recurring commission.
Pro Tip: You can create customized native ads via DFP and segment them across demographics and geo to offer a more seamless ad experience to your users which guarantees a higher conversion rate.
Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Sponsored Ads
Direct deals and ads continue to be one of the perennial sources of monetization for niche bloggers in the finance segments. Mostly, the contracts are sourced directly or through popular websites like BuySellAds. Sponsored ads can get you CPMs as high as $2 to $5 depending on the sub-niche of the website. However, most of the direct deals generally takes some time. But, once you start getting direct deal ads, you can be assured that the revenue coming from it would be approximately 2x of what you’d be generating from third party banner ads on the same placement.
Pro Tip: Always serve direct ads on CPM basis via DFP at Sponsorship level line item. This allows you to have an additional monetization opportunity when First price buyers pay a higher rate for your impressions and thus, you can make around 20% extra revenue with this trick along with your existing sponsored ad.
Monetize your Finance Website or Blog: Sponsored Listings
A number of listing articles should form an integral part of your content strategy. It can be a top 10 product recommendation list which has the opportunity of additional product listings. Once these articles start performing well on your website, you can promote certain products which you feel are beneficial for your readers and charge flat rates for product inclusions within those lists. Sponsored lists continue to be one of the top monetization sources for a number of bloggers since it is often served at premium rates and is highly targeted to conversions (due to the organic and contextual nature). Also, bloggers can sell a number of listing slots on their websites provided there are sufficient number of articles. The main idea behind monetizing listing articles is to ensure they have a decent volume of traffic and is indexed at top position for relevant keywords. This would automatically grow interest among advertisers who believe their products would be a good fix on your article.
Pro Tip: Always go for a yearly pricing model for list inclusions for an ongoing revenue.
CPM Rates for Finance/Investing Blogs and Websites
One might come up with a popular question like “what is the CPM rates for finance blogs and investing blogs?”. While the CPM rates will vary extensively depending on the niche, audience, and conversion of the website, it is however possible to give some predictable numbers. For display demands, the CPMs can be anywhere between USD 2 to USD 5 for tier one traffic for top performing niches. The rates can sometimes go higher than the usual for native recommendation widgets as well. We have seem websites with page RPM of USD 20-30 on media.net platform.
It often becomes difficult to double your traffic in a years time. However, you can double or triple your revenue by adding new monetization channels. The purpose of this article is to give you ideas that can help you broaden the entire monetization spectrum for your blog and also limit the ways to the ones which are tested so that you have a proper direction in place. Make sure the modus operandi for monetizing your site should effectively come down to one metric– earnings per visitor. Following the above listed tips and tricks can effectively help you in monetizing your Finance website or blog. For a more customized plan and consultation do get in touch with me on skype. My id is ronniedey
Blognife's Recommended Monetization Partners:
- Best AdSense Alternative- Setupad, Media.net
- Push Notification Network- iZooto (Highly Recommended)
- Best Contextual Ad Network- Media.net (Signup Bonus: Extra 10% for 3 months)
- Video Ad Network- vdo.ai
- Native Ad Network- Revcontent, Taboola
- Limited time offer- 60% OFF on Hostgator one year plan. Use code BLOGWITHABHISHEK