Smaato is an advertising platform which is specifically designed for mobile publishers and app developers. It works real-time. The company puts a strong focus on helping parties to monetize their mobile apps and earn the maximum revenue. In this post, we will discuss the Smaato CPM Rates 2017 – the various ad units, earning model, and payment proof and earnings report to help you decide if this is the right ad network to help monetize your site or mobile app or not. The company will help you to figure out the best way to monetize your mobile traffic.
Brief of the Company
The ad network Smaato was founded in the year 2005 by Ragnar Kruse and Petra Vorsteher. The headquarters of the company is based in San Francisco, California. The European office of the company is located in Hamburg, Germany. Offices are also located in Singapore and New York. There are committees like the OpenRTB Mobile sub-committee, Mobile Entertainment Forum, Mobile Marketing Association, and Singapore Infocomm Industry (SITF) of which it is a part of. It is also a member of the German Digital Media Association (BVDW). The Indonesian mobile operator Indosat is one of its partners. The company has raised over USD 47 million in funding from companies like Aeris Capital, Singapore Press Holdings, and EDBI.
Ad Unit Types
Smaato has a number of ad unit types. These include video, native ads, expandable banner, interactive banner, and standard ads.
- Instream Video ads – The in-stream video ads of Smaato provide higher rates of eCPMs and improved CTRs. These contain all the functionality which is needed to drive more revenue. The ad units are as follows:
- Pre-roll – These are the video ads which are shown before the requested video begins.
- Mid-roll – These are the video ads which are played in the middle of the requested video content. These are similar in nature to commercial breaks.
- Post-roll – These ads are the least intrusive video ads as they are played at the end of the requested video content.
- Outstream video ads – These are the video ads which get played within the content of a mobile web page. They do not open full screen into the device’s native video player. These ads are guaranteed to be viewable with premium ad placements which provide higher engagement with the user. This proves to be advantageous for publishers as well as advertisers. The units integrate seamlessly into the mobile web content. These play only when more than 70% of the content is visible.
- Rewarded video ads – This is a popular ad format where users are incentivized to watch a video ad. Rewards can be in the form of virtual currency, prizes or anything that is provided by the user in the context of their app. These are always non-skippable ads and can run for 15 – 30 seconds. This type of ad unit has a higher completion rate with an optimal engagement. It is highly suitable for raising brand engagement or to increase app installs.
- MRAID Video – It stands for Mobile Rich Media Ad Interface Definitions (MRAID). This ad format is used to create a positive impact on users with ad creative and is used to increase engagement. The MRAID technology has been designed by the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) and it works on different mobile platforms.
- Native ad units – These ads are extremely useful to generate higher eCPM on the app traffic and have a high click through rate. It also provides an improved user experience. The Smaato network supports API and SDK integration.
- Expandable banner ads – These interactive formats allow the mobile ad units to expand from the normal size to a larger size. The collapsed size of this ad is 300x50px (according to Mobile Marketing Association or MMA) or 320x150px (according to IAB). The expanded size is 300x250px (MMA) or 320x480px (IAB).
- Interactive banner ads – These are the interstitial ad units which can be seen in mobile apps. Interaction with the ad units is encouraged by making the users play a game.
- Standard ad units – These units can either be interactive or noninteractive. They get displayed on mobile web pages or mobile applications. The different dimensions are leaderboard(728x90px), medium rectangle (300x250px), rectangle (180x150px), skyscraper (160x600px), half-page ad (300x600px), large (216x36px & 216x54px), xlarge (300x50px & 300x75px), xxlarge (320x50px & 320x53px), medium (168x28px & 168x42px), small (120x20px & 120x30px), micro Bar (88x31px) and text ad units.
Smaato’s model is based on Cost per 1000 Impressions (CPM). You can set a minimum CPM, that is, your lowest acceptable price per 1000 impressions of the inventory. Thus, the eCPM which you receive will not be less than that. If you raise your minimum CPM then you will either end up improving your eCPM or decreasing your fill rate. The network uses a unique technology called Dynamic Demand which enables competition for each impression among any buying model. Publishers can only monetize mobile websites or areas with the app for their inventory.
CPM Rates 2017
(Source – wiki.smaato.com)
The CPM rate for ads displayed on Smaato depends on a number of factors like location, device, category, and traffic volume. The network is supported on iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows, and mobile web. The network is app/brand/game-centric. The CPM rate for iOS ranges from 5 cents to USD 2.5 while that for Android tends to lie in between 2 cents to USD 1.6. The rates for traffic coming in from countries like the USA, UK, and Canada is more while that for Asian traffic is less.
Payment Proof and Earnings Report
(Source – wiki.smaato.com)
Smaato provides two payment options to its publishers – PayPal and Wire Transfer. A Net 60 payment schedule is followed. The total revenue earned is paid within sixty days after the end of the calendar month in which it was earned. The minimum payout threshold is USD 100, irrespective of the payment method. It must be kept in mind that the currency used by the company is U. S. Dollars. No side fee is subjected for PayPal payouts. Fees for Wire Transfers depend on the bank and country of residence.
Reports on various Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and metrics can be generated from the Reporting section of the dashboard. By default, the breakdown shown is of the past 7 days. The gross values for revenue and eCPM are also shown, by default. It can be changed to Net values or both can be shown, according to the options selected. All the statistics are displayed for a period. There are also filter options which can be applied to view the statistics accordingly. The different options for date range are today, yesterday, past 7 days, past 14 days, the previous week, and previous month. A customized date range can also be selected. The reports can also be downloaded to CSV for a later analysis.
Recommended List for You:
- Native Ad Networks- Spoutable, Revcontent,
- CPC Networks- Media.net, Google AdSense
- Link Ad Networks- Viglink, Infolinks
- Pop-Under Networks- Clickadu, Hilltopads
- Recommended WordPress Theme- Publisher (AMP Ready)
- Premium Ad Placement Plugin- Advanced Ads
- Web Hosting- Bluehost
The ad network Smaato works like a mediation platform which has its own integrated SPX. This is extremely suitable to be used by publishers who have been banned by Google AdSense. You can run multiple ad networks with this and the bid with the highest amount gets served on your network. This is extremely suitable for monetizing the mobile and app traffic. We hope that you found this discussion on Smaato CPM Rates 2017 – its ad units, earning model, and payment proof and earnings report helpful. What has been your experience with this network? Do share your review with us!
Get into Smaato's exchange and earn high CPMs and good fills for Asian traffic.