Google and Amazon have had a fierce competition going on in the product search domain. With Amazon making serious inroads into the world of advertising, the rivalry has reached the mobile advertising segment as well. AdMob is Google’s own premium mobile ad network with a huge inventory of premium advertisers. Amazon Ads also provides in-app display advertising solution to monetize apps and games across phones and tablets. Mobile advertising has exploded over the last few years and it will be interesting to follow this battle.
In this article, we will do a relative study of Google AdMob and Amazon Ads and try to figure out their pros and cons.
AdMob vs Amazon Ads: Minimum Traffic Requirement
There is no minimum traffic requirement for becoming an AdMob publisher. The network does not impose any restrictions with respect to the language on publisher sites. To become a publisher in this network, you need to have a prior approved AdSense account. Also, your app needs to be published in the Google Play store.
AdMob vs Amazon Ads: Revenue Share Percentage
AdMob has a high revenue sharing ratio of 60:40. 60% of the generated revenue is shared with the publisher and the rest 40% remains with Google. Currently, we don’t have the data for Amazon ads.
AdMob vs Amazon Ads: Ad Quality
AdMob, being a Google product, does not compromise on quality and displays high-quality advertisements. It supports cross-platform monetization (Android, iOS, and Windows). Publishers have the ability to customize your text ad units with specific colours and fonts in order to maximize visibility and click rates.
AdMob vs Amazon Ads: Publisher List
The platform is used by top app developers around the world like Etermax, Cheetah Mobile, Backflip Studios and Fingersoft.
AdMob vs Amazon Ads: CPM and RPM Rates
Monetizing a mobile app is difficult because, without proper followership, CPC and CTR tend to be low. AdMob provides lower rates of CPM compared to AdSense. The average RPM on Android platform lies in between 15 cents to USD 1.50 while on iOS, it is between 20 cents to USD 2. They have very good fill rates and has competitive eCPMs. Interstitial ad units have an RPM rate of USD 2 to 4 for Android platform and USD 3 to 5 for iOS platform. Banner ad units or native ad units get placed at the bottom. These have an RPM of 15 cents to USD 1.5 for Android traffic and 20 cents to USD 2 for iOS traffic.
CPM rates depend on many factors, including where your audience is from and what your blog niche is. This means that some visitors are only “worth” lesser than $1 CPM and others may be worth $1 or more. For example, assuming that your target CPM is $1, if your visitor is worth less than $1 CPM, Amazon won’t display their ads. They will only display ads if your audience is worth $1 or more. The fill rate for this network can be a bit low.
AdMob vs Amazon Ads: Payment and Earnings Report
In Amazon Ads, you will receive payment approximately 30 days after the end of the calendar month in which the ad revenue was earned. For example, the earnings for the month of November are typically paid at the end of December. The available payment methods are – Electronic Funds Transfer or EFT (minimum payout threshold- USD 10), Wire Transfer (minimum payout threshold – USD 100), Check (minimum payout threshold- USD 100).
In mobile advertising, AdMob is the seasoned player and lives up to the reputation of being a Google product by providing efficient services. Admob is integrated with Google Adwords, which gives them slightly different data points of targeting, and the ability to sell through the Adwords interface. For more advanced app makers who want to maximize their mobile earnings, AdMob also includes a tool called “AdMob Mediation” that facilitates ongoing optimization. In comparison, Amazon Ads is a still somewhat of an upcoming network, one that shows great promise, of course. Amazon Ads need to improve on certain aspects such as their low fill rate. Down the line, Amazon Ads has the potential to become an equal competitor of Google AdMob and that will be an interesting and dynamic phase in mobile advertising. We hope this article has been comprehensive and that you find it useful.
Recommended List for You:
- Traffic less than 10k views per month- AdSense, Adnow, Mediavenus
- Traffic 10k to 100k per month- AdSense, Spoutable
- Traffic 100k to 500k per month- AdSense, Spoutable, Media.net
- Traffic 500k to 3 million per month- ADX, Media.net, Spoutable, Taboola
- Traffic 3 million+ per month- Media.net, ADX, Revcontent, Video Ads (Get in touch)
- Marketing Tools- Ad Plugin, SemRush (Free Trial), Teachable, Webinar Jam,
- Increase your Website Revenue– Share your information and we will get in touch