Pulse point is a next generation advertising platform that combines the science of programmatic targeting and website optimization with that of content marketing. Its platform has been powered by the best technologies that allow brands to engage efficiently with the right audiences so as to help its publishers generate revenue through actionable insights.
A Brief about the Company- PulsePoint
Pulse Point is a Global programmatic platform for brand engagement that helps brands engages the right consumers with the right ads through eminent content marketing tactics. Pulse Point is a CPM based advertising network based in the US and is headquartered in New York City. It is developed as a partnership between context Web and Datran Media and was formerly known as Context Web. It serves more than three billion ad impressions every day and has the best ads fill rate for websites based in the US, Europe, Canada and Australia.
Pulse Point is similar to Google Adsense and does not offer any Plugin for content management. Publishers have to place the ad code offered by it, at places where they need the ads to get displayed. Google Adsense plugins available with the content management system can also be used in this regard.
Pulse Point offers other notable features along with offering ad codes such as ad controls, networking with other ad networks, ask price, etc. It helps its publishers make extra revenue through its ad targeting technologies based on keyword, geographic location, browser, language, demographic and interest. The types of ads it offers also differ to meet the interests of Publishers such as Leader board ads, Skyscraper ads, wide skyscraper, and medium rectangle depending on real estate space of publisher’s websites.
Requirements for a Publisher to Join the Network
Pulse point is the CPM based ad network that allows its publishers to bid on their ad impressions to help them generate more revenue. Getting approved with Pulse point is easy and there are no traffic restrictions to join its publisher’s program. But it strictly does not include websites with offensive content in its stream. It in fact helps small publishers to gain more from its ad network and activates their account instantly. Age of the website does not matter and thus a newbie publisher with low traffic volume could also get published from them easily.
Pulse point accepts publishers from any part of the world, but seems to be much focused on US traffic. Websites from Tier 2 countries couldn’t gain more with this ad network and their fill rate would be 30-40%. The fill rate for US websites is about 100% and the Ads offered by this ad network are clean as it works well with quality advertisers.
If on the publisher’s website any ad slot is empty owing to poor bidding negotiation, publishers could fill them with other backup tags. It is beneficial to use Google Adsense ads as their backup ads. Publishers have to bid with caution so that their ‘ask price’ would be favorable for the advertisers. Advertising inventory includes both pop ups and banners and its publishers are free to use up to 3 banners on a web page.
Publisher Traffic Requirement for PulsePoint
I was using Pulse Point when it was ContextWeb. ContextWeb and Datran Media joined together and Pulse Point emerged. It was a self-serve platform and it didn’t require any minimum traffic requirement. I was using AdSense as a backup. The fill rate was around 25-30% for a 300×250 ad unit with a CPM floor price of $0.60. However, I noticed the ad delivery to be a bit slower. I wouldn’t suggest you to run only Pulse Point with AdSense as a backup if you have good tier 1 traffic.
You may consider Komoona to run along with Pulse Point. You may read more about it here. I believe Komoona would help you earn more than Pulse Point. Also, Criteo can provide you high CPM rates (but low fill rates).
Bottomline- Using Criteo, Komoona, PulsePoint and AdSense/AdX can be a good combination. This is possible to setup using DFP where you can create a Waterfall model/passback strategy to favor high paying CPM ad networks. You may read this article from monetizemore that talks about creating a good passback strategy.
How does it Work
Pulse point, being a CPM based network pays its publishers, even if their website visitors do not click on the ads. It is at the publishers wish list to use it along with a CPC network such as Google Ad sense to gain more from their sites as they won’t compete with each other and helps publishers enhance their income. The network helps its publishers to set up ads with a minimum CPM price, if there are ads with a higher CPM rate, also termed as Ask price, and then they will generate additional income for the ad. But, if there are no ads above the ask price, and then backup ads get displayed.
Publishers could mention on the backup ads while creating the ad codes. They could have more than one backup ad for an ad code and could set their frequency intervals. Google AdSense ads could be used as backup codes as well to maximize revenue. This back up code feature would help publishers to rotate different sized ads to check their performance and revenue generating potentials.
Video tag is an additional feature used by Pulse Point that allows publishers to create a video tag with advertisers such as App Nexus, Open X or Live Rail to check the quantum of revenue these video ads could offer. In short, Pulse point helps its publishers to reach its target audience with contextually relevant and brand safe inventory at their best efficiency and offers them access to billions of quality ad impressions across 200+ countries.
- Serves publishers with billions of ad impressions by combining the efficiency of programmatic targeting and branded content.
- It delivers high impact ad units and content marketing techniques across numerous social platforms and native platforms
- Customizes ads based on content verticals, audience interest, ad placements and view ability.
- Minimizes waste and enhances ROI through predictive technology that helps publishers to target ads and buy them on a CPM basis.
- Its real time contextualization process analyses thousands of quality publishers at their page level to offer a highly relevant ad experience.
- Platform integration is done in just 24 hours with direct access to buyer portal.
- Enhances ad relevancy by targeting or blocking content at category and page level.
- Its proprietary brand safety methods combine’s human and machine verification filter to ensure audience and inventory quality.
- It helps publishers target their audience beyond 1st and 3rd party cooking pools across any screen and browser.
- Pulse point does not offer referral programs
- The fill rate is worse for low traffic sites and new websites
- Websites that are not from US, UK, Canadian or Australian origin doesn’t seem to work well with this network.
- The advertising network charge transaction fee with its payment options
Payment Structure and Payout
The minimum payment threshold for Pulse Point is $50. It pays its publishers based on ad impressions and thus, makes it possible to generate good income in a short duration. Its payment portals are
- PayPal, which charges 2% of the transaction fee
- Local bank transfer/eCheck, that charges $5 as transaction fees.
- Wire Transfer, that charges $20 for USD transfer and $15 for INR transfer
- Check, which charges $6 as transaction fees.
It pays its publishers on a net 45 basis, that is, its publishers get paid within 45 days after the last day of the month for which they are being paid. Payments are generally made on time with high accuracy levels.
PulsePoint CPM Rates 2016
Pulsepoint provides decent CPM rates. You can set floor price and provide pass back. Depending on the traffic, Pulsepoint can provide a fill rate from 20-50% of your inventory.
Pulse point does not have a referral program and block a way through which its publishers could gain additional income. This is a sure drawback of Pulse point ad network compared to other ad networks that help its people gain a minimum of 3% referral revenue through their networks.
AdBuff is a high paying CPM network if you've majority traffic from US, UK and Canada
Pulse point is a viable advertising portal for publishers with decent traffic volume and impressions. Traffic from the US and other major countries could offer a CPM of $2 at a single click to help good ROI for publishers. It works best with Google Adsense and the latter’s back up tag feature helps in realization of additional revenue.
Recommended List for You:
- Native Ad Networks- Spoutable, Revcontent,
- CPC Networks- Media.net, Google AdSense
- Link Ad Networks- Viglink, Infolinks
- Pop-Under Networks- Clickadu, Hilltopads
- Recommended WordPress Theme- Publisher (AMP Ready)
- Premium Ad Placement Plugin- Advanced Ads
- Web Hosting- Bluehost
One of the reliable media platforms for long.